Monday, July 22, 2013

My Return To The Forest

My last post was supposed to have been illustrating the entire book "Reachmont" The Glen, by Herbert Greer French, a self published 1924 book showing the grounds of French's estate in Cincinnati, Ohio. Reachmont is now known as French Park, and is maintained by the Cincinnati Parks Foundation. French used a particular paper stock, a muted grayish green hued paper that I wanted to accurately represent, as it set the mood for the photographs.

Not being savvy with Photoshop, it had taken me a week and a half to color correct all the pictures. But before the post could be made, I lost all the pictures with a catastrophic hard drive crash. I thought it had all been properly backed up, but that was not the case. The idea of trying to color correct everything again has filled me with dread for over a year. And basically I've been paralyzed in regards to this blog ever since. At some point I will post Reachmont, but it's time to finally move on. I hope to at least post monthly, and maybe weekly.

The following is an albumen photograph by James Valentine showing a very mature tree, that has grown within a the ruins of an abbey.

Easby Abby, or the The Abbey of St Agatha, was founded in 1152. It still stands today, and is located in Richmond, in the Richmondshire District of North Yorkshire. I believe the arch still stands, but the tree does not.
Norman Arch. Easby Abbey. York, S. 3268. J.V.


No comments:

Post a Comment